VR Team | Sep 1, 2020 | 0 comments
If you want a destination where there is plenty to see and do, head to Canada! There are cities, like Vancouver and Winnipeg where it’s a joy to wander around and see the sights. If you are into adventure, you’ll find beautiful rivers, lakes and forests just waiting for you to explore! In this article, learn more about how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from Ghana – online and in-person, processing time at the Canadian visa application center, flight itinerary and Canada visitor visa application process.
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa from Ghana
If you want to go to Canada, it’s easy to apply for a visa from Ghana. You can do this in 1 of 2 ways:
- Online – the website of website of Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has everything you need to get your visa
- In-person – apply at VFS Global based in Accra
Types of visas for Canada
There are different types of visas available if you want to go to Canada. They are called Temporary Resident Visas and the one you need will depend on the reason for traveling to Canada and how long you want to go for:
- Visitor visa – for tourism, visiting family/friends or conducting business for up to 6 months
- Parent and grandparent super visa – if you are visiting your children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
- Transit visa – if you are connecting between 2 international flights, in less than 48 hours
You can find further information about the types of visas on the IRCC website.
Visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry
- Multiple entry
Single entry means you will be allowed to enter Canada once before the visa expires. Multiple entry means you can enter Canada as many times as you wish before expiry of the visa.
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
Processing times vary depending on the country you are applying from. Applications from Ghana take 125 days to process. However, it could take longer depending on the type of visa you are applying for, whether you need to provide more information and/or documents and the time it takes for your application to be sent to the main visa office (if applying at your local visa application center).
It is up to you to apply well in advance of your departure date, otherwise, you may have to delay your trip!
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from Ghana
As mentioned above, you may apply for a Canada visitor visa online or in-person. Before you decide, consider the benefits if you apply online:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- You can submit additional documents online, if required
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
Whether you apply online or in-person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application – either electronically (online application) or at the visa office (paper/in-person application)
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to the website of IRCC and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Under “Services and information”, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online” and click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, there is a link for the instruction guide which will guide you through the application process. If you are happy to get started, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
You will have to create an account:
Then, you can sign in and begin your application:
After you have finished the online application, you will be asked to pay the fees and upload your documents.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa in-person
To apply in-person, you will submit your application to VFS Global. There are 7 steps to follow:
- Step 1 – Identify visa type
- Step 2 – Begin your application
- Step 3 – Book an appointment
- Step 4 – Pay the fees
- Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
- Step 6 – Track your application
- Step 7 – Collect your passport
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
Click on the relevant link to find out what visa you need for your trip:
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can complete your application form by:
- Downloading it – click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode:
- Apply online and submit the form electronically
Step 3 – Book an appointment
If you are required to provide biometrics, it is mandatory to book an appointment. If you have provided biometrics within the last 10 years and are simply handing over your application to be processed, there is no need to make an appointment. To check whether you need to provide biometric data, go to the website of IRCC.
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
Go to VFS Global’s website and book your appointment in one of the following ways:
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number: +2330501295270/+2330501295273
- By email – use the webform
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In-person – you can visit the visa application center in-person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
You will pay for the visa application processing fee and the biometric fee at the same time. The fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
|Type of Visa||Can $||USD||GHS|
|Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person|
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
|Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)|
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometrics (per person)||$85||65||340|
|Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)|
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
VFS Global has a range of other services such as courier services and photocopying. For further information, check out their website.
How to pay the fees for your application
Click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website:
You will be directed to IRCC’s website where you can pay the fees online:
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
On the day you visit the application center to submit your documents and/or provide biometric data, there are a number of things that will happen:
- You will hand over your application and supporting documents
- Provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken (if you are providing biometrics)
- You will also pay the fees (if you have not done so online) and receive a receipt with a unique number which you can use to track your application.
Remember the following things:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of schedule
- Take a printed copy of your visa application, 2D barcoded sheets (2 copies), passport bio page (2 copies), as well as a valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides
- Take the Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) (if you have applied online)
If you turn up at the center without everything you need, you may have to make a new appointment. Make sure you are prepared to avoid disappointment!
Step 6 – Track your application
You can track your application in the following ways:
- On VFS Global’s website
- Webchat: Chat Now
- Email: email@example.com
- Helpline number: +2330501295270/+2330501295273
- Visit the visa application center in-person
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can pick up your documents from VFS Global or have them returned to you by courier for an additional fee. See their website for costs.
If you are collecting the decision envelope from VFS Global in-person, you must provide the following:
- A copy of your passport’s biographic page
- The visa application center services receipt
- A form of government identification
It is your responsibility to make sure the visa issued is correct. If there are any discrepancies, you should tell the visa application center immediately to avoid potential problems when you arrive in Canada.
Whether you are applying online or in-person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to. Documents include
- Temporary Resident Visa application form – IMM 5257 – fully completed and signed
- Passport – valid for the duration of your stay in Canada and for at at least 6 months past your trip and with 2 blank pages.
- Copy of the passport biodata page
- 2 photos which are in line with the photo specifications. They must be signed, dated and taken within the last 6 months. Write your name and date of birth on the back
- Proof of legal right to remain in the country of residence
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on where you are applying from.
Applicants from Ghana need to submit other specific documents. To find these documents, go to the “Apply online” page and click on “Read the instruction guide”:
Go to the “Gather documents” section and click on “Application for a visitor visa”:
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” choose Ghana and click on “Get documents”:
It is important that you get the documents for the country you are applying from. There are different documents for each country and if you don’t include these, your application may be rejected.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5854)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
Remember! The above document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484 and it needs to be placed on top of your application pack.
You should read the instructions carefully! Additional documents for applications from Ghana include:
- An explanation of the purpose of your trip – details of your itinerary indicating length of stay, destination and contacts
- Provisional airline booking
- Visiting family/friends – letter of invitation and host’s passport/proof of residency; host’s evidence of income, proof of employment and proof of funds
- Proof of sufficient funds/financial support – bank statements, payslips or other proof of income such as pension income. If you are not paying for your own trip, provide a letter signed by the person paying along with their passport and bank statement and proof of relationship
- If you are traveling for business/attending a conference – proof of invitation, registration and hotel confirmation
- Family Information form IMM 5707 – fully completed, dated and signed
- Schedule 1 form – Application for Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257B – if you answered “yes” to any of the background questions on the application form
- Evidence of previous travel – previous passports OR a list of your international travels over the last 5 years
- Proof of employment – employer’s letter (no older than 2 months stating occupation, job description, salary, allowances, years of employment and authorized leave dates along with payslips (last 3 months)
- Proof of current studies – letter and transcript
- Birth and marriage certificates for each family member – whether or not they are applying for a visa
- VFS Consent form
- For business travel – a letter from your employer indicating the purpose of your travel, your itinerary and who will cover the costs. Plus, a letter from the Canadian business confirming the duration of your trip and nature of your business
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Originals and copies of all documents are required and you must also include a certified translation for any document that is not in English or French.
Before you hand over your application, check that it is complete and that all the required documents are there! Taking time to do this will ensure your chances of getting your visa application approved are higher.
After you submit your documents
Once you have handed over your application, the visa office will check that it is complete. If anything is missing, it will be returned to you without being processed.
If the application is complete, it will be assessed and if the visa office needs any more information and/or documents from you, they will contact you to discuss this. You may also be called in for an interview. If this happens, don’t worry, the visa office is simply trying to ascertain all the facts for a fair decision to be made.
Once a decision has been reached, you will be notified of the outcome. Your visa will either be approved or rejected. If it is approved, you will receive your passport with the visa attached to one of the pages. If it has been rejected, you will receive your passport with a letter explaining why it was denied.
The following reasons may result in a rejected application:
- Documents missing from the visa office instructions – remember there are 2 checklists. The general document checklist and the visa office instructions. Refer to both of these when you are gathering your documents for your application
- Your passport does not have any blank pages – your passport needs at least 2 blank pages for your visa to be attached. If it doesn’t, you will need to get a new one before applying for your visa
- No family information form – this is a standard document that must be included with your application, so don’t forget to do this
- Criminal activity – if the visa office finds out that you were involved in criminal activity in the past, it could affect your chance to travel to Canada now or in the future
Contact details for VFS Global
Address: Canada Visa Application Centre, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ghana, Baptist Convention House, Abelenkpe Road, Abelemkpe, Accra, Ghana
Helpline Number: +2330501295270 / +2330501295273
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
1. Who is VFS Global?
VFS Global is a company authorized by IRCC to operate the visa application center in Ghana
2. What can I do in Canada with a visitor visa?
You can visit Canada for tourism, visiting family/friends or conducting business
3. I want to apply in-person, where can I submit my visa application?
You may submit your application to VFS Global located in your area
4. Do I need to provide biometric data each time I apply for a visa?
No, you only provide biometric data if you have not done so in the last 10 years
5. Can I track my application?
Yes, you can use the unique tracking number which will be given to you when you submit your application to find out how your application is progressing
6. Do I need to make an appointment?
Only if you have to provide biometric data. If not, you do not need to make an appointment
7. What fees do I need to pay?
You will pay for the visa processing fee and the biometric fee
8. How can I pay the fees?
You pay the fees online at IRCC with a credit or debit card. If you are unable to pay online, you can do so at the visa application center. You should check with the office as to which payment methods are available
9. If I opt for additional services from VFS Global, how can I pay the fees?
You can pay for any additional services in cash or by mail. See VFS Global’s website for more information
10. How do I get my passport back?
You can choose to collect your passport from VFS Global or have it returned to you via courier
To apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying for Canada visa from Ghana in-person then follow the steps below:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
Once you have your visa, your trip to Canada won’t be far away!
At Visa Reservation, we strive to simplify the visa process by providing free visa consultations, cover letter templates and no objection letter templates for our clients from US, UK, Canada, Philippines, India, China, UAE, Europe, Nigeria and globally. We also offer flight itinerary for visa, travel medical insurance, hotel reservations for visa , Book Visa Appointment, Travel Guides, Visa Interview Guides, Visa Packages and many more. To learn more about how we can help you with our visa services, please feel free to contact us today.
Apply for Canada Visa – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from India – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Philippines – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from China – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Nigeria- Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Thailand – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Zimbabwe – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Bangladesh – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Indonesia – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Jamaica – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
Apply for Canada Visa from Malaysia – Complete Guide To Canada Visitor Visa Application And Requirements
How do I fill in visitor visa for Canada? ›
- Step 1: Get the documents that show you meet the criteria for a visitor visa. Check the list of documents based on your situation.
- Step 2: Apply online. Create an account. Upload your documents. ...
- Step 3: Give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) Normally, you need to give biometrics.
Funds Needed for a Canada Tourist Visa
per month for their monthly expenses, and if an applicant is coming for tourism, then 2,000 CAD (INR 1,22,805 approx.) for 30 days per person is enough.
The processing time for a Canada tourist visa is 15 days, if your documentation is done properly. A business visa takes 1 to 6 weeks of processing time. A temporary resident visa application takes 16-20 days to be processed.How long does Visitor visa take for Canada? ›
Average Canadian Visitor Visa Processing Time
On average, Canadian visitor visas are typically processed around 12 days. The processing time starts the day that the IRCC receives your complete application and ends when they make a decision.
- date of birth.
- document number.
- citizenship or residency status.
- photo, and.
- expiry date (if applicable)
|Number of family members||Funds required (in Canadian dollars)|
|People coming to Canada||Amount of funds required per year (doesn't include tuition)|
|1 person aged 18 or over||CAN$13,134|
|2 people aged 18 or over||CAN$19,264|
|2 people aged 18 or over and 1 person under the age of 18||CAN$21,579|
|2 people aged 18 or over and 2 people under the age of 18||CAN$23,290|
Is an interview required for a Canada visitor visa? Generally, when you apply for a Canadian tourist visa, you will not be required to attend an interview. Applicants or a representative of the applicant can submit all the required documents to the embassy/consulate when applying for a visa.How long does it take for Canadian visa to be approved from Ghana? ›
How long does it take to get a visa to Canada from Ghana? Depending on the visa the applicant applies for, the processing time will differ. A Visitor Visa will take about 125 days, but other visas that will allow you to live in Canada will usually take longer to process.How long does a Canadian visa take to process in Ghana? ›
Apply through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website well in advance of your departure date to ensure you receive the documentation in time, as it can take up to 10 weeks.
How long does it take to get Canadian visa 2022? ›
After you have submitted your biometrics to the IRCC with your visa application it should take around 8 weeks to receive your valid visa. Each case can vary so always discuss with your immigration lawyer or consultant.How long does it take to get visitor visa after Biometrics Canada 2022? ›
How long does it take to get a visa after Biometrics Canada 2022? It takes around 8 weeks to get a visa after submitting your biometrics along with the work permit to the IRCC.How long does it take for Canada visa after Biometrics? ›
Once we receive your biometrics, we'll be able to process your study permit application. We process most Student Direct Stream applications within 20 calendar days after we receive your biometrics, if you meet the eligibility.How do I know if my Canadian visa is approved? ›
You will notice an approved stamp. This means that your Visa has been approved and now you can move to Canada. If you don't see any stamp then there will be another letter that specifies the reason for rejection of your Visa. Nowadays, not many try their hands-on applying for Visa through the Post.What happens after biometrics for Canada visitor visa? ›
If you've given your biometrics before as part of an application for a visitor visa or study or work permit, your biometrics are probably still valid. Find out if your biometrics are still valid and when they expire by using the Check Status tool. If they're still valid, you don't have to give your biometrics again.Is it difficult to get a visitor visa to Canada? ›
Though not a very complex matter, TRV visitor visas must be applied for properly and in a timely manner. There are no guarantees about how quickly your tourist visa application can be processed, and it is best to get started as soon as you learn you will travel to Canada.Is Canada visit visa easy? ›
The Canada Visit Visa is a straightforward visa application giving you the ability to visit Canada for a period of up to 6 months. Single entry visas and multiple entry visas are the two types of Canada visas available in Canada. Foreign nationals can only enter Canada once with a single-entry visa.Can I get Canada tourist visa easily? ›
Step 1 - Applying for a tourist visa online for Canada is easy and best, you get all these benefits: No courier fees or mail delivery time –you can submit your application instantly. Online applications are processed more quickly.What are the requirements of visitor visa? ›
- Tourist visa application form.
- Passport with six or three months validity period.
- Passport pictures.
- Valid travel insurance.
- Evidence of financial means.
- Proof of accommodation.
- Proof of a booked return flight ticket.
- Proof of paid visa fee.
Original as well as a copy of passport (biographical pages only). Passport should have minimum validity of six months and must have at least two blank pages. Note: Holders of dual nationality should apply for visas on their Pakistani passport only. However, both the passports, in original, are to be submitted.
Can I apply for Canada visitor visa without invitation letter? ›
An Invitation Letter is not mandatory when applying for a visitor's visa. In some cases, however, the government of Canada will request that you provide them with an Invitation Letter when you submit your application. If not asked by the government, you will not need an invitation letter.Can I go to Canada without money? ›
When moving to Canada, the authorities require that you have enough money to live there. But it's not in all cases that you need this. Exceptions include when applying through CEC, spousal sponsorship, live-in caregiver, trade agreements, IEC, visitor visa, or you have a work permit or job offer.What food items are not allowed into Canada? ›
You may not bring the following into Canada if sourced from, processed, or packaged in a restricted zone in the US: all raw poultry and poultry products. by-products that are not fully cooked, including eggs and raw pet foods.How much is rent in Canada? ›
What is the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Canada?
|Property||Price per month|
|Single Family House||$2361|
We need proof that the person you want to sponsor is related to you. You should also include a copy of your birth certificate.What is proof of financial support in Canada for visitor visa? ›
Proof of financial means to cover the expenses for the duration of your visit: o Bank statements showing the past 3-month transaction history and the average balance for the past 6 months. o Any additional relevant documentation (employment letter, pay slips, proof of pension, business registration, investments, etc.).How do you answer interview questions Canada? ›
- Answer briefly, but try to avoid yes/no answers.
- Don't worry about pausing before you answer — it shows you can think before answering.
- Don't worry about admitting that you don't know something, but don't say it too often.
- How are you doing today? ...
- Have you been to Canada before? ...
- Why did you choose Canada? ...
- Why did you choose that particular college/university? ...
- Have you applied for any other college/university?
Answer all questions fully, succinctly, and truthfully, but do not volunteer information unless asked. If you're unsure of the answer or do not understand a question, you should always say so rather than guess.What is the fastest visa to Canada? ›
#1 – Express Entry
Express Entry is Canada's fastest and most popular immigration program. Candidates that apply through the Express Entry system can receive permanent residence status as soon as six months.
What are the next step after getting the visa to Canada? ›
- go to an interview with our officials in your country.
- send more information.
- get a medical exam.
- get a police certificate.
After biometrics, you should receive a decision about work authorization within 90 days (or 30 days for initial Asylum applicants) from the receipt date on your Form I-765. EOIR- granted asylees will sometimes receive a 2-year EAD card by mail within 7 to 10 days from the day the biometrics information is received.Does visa start after biometrics? ›
For visitor visa, study or work permit applicants:
The time it takes you to give your biometrics isn't included in the application processing time. The sooner you provide your biometrics, the sooner we can start processing your application.
Yes. Biometrics is just a beginning of your visa application process. Visa can be rejected or approved.How do I know if my visa is approved? ›
At the end of your immigrant visa interview, the consular officer will inform you whether your visa application is approved or denied. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a consular officer.What happens after taking biometrics? ›
What Happens After the Biometrics Appointment? After you complete your biometrics screening, the biometrics officer will stamp your appointment letter. This stamp confirms that you attended the ASC appointment and gave your biometrics for the background check. Always keep this document in a safe place.What to fill out when entering Canada? ›
- Canadian passport.
- Canadian birth certificate.
- permanent residence card.
- citizenship card.
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card.
Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B]
This document is required only if you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions: 3, 4, 5 or 6 in the "Background Information" section of the "Application to change of conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a student" [IMM5709] form.
- Are you traveling with your family?
- Have you been convicted of a serious crime in your home country?
- How long do you plan to stay in Canada?
- How much money do you have with you?
- Are you healthy?
- Have you been to Canada before? Were you required to leave?
- Have your passports and visas ready.
- Work out what to take and leave, check border rules, and start organising shipment.
- Get insurance.
- Make sure you have local currency or a card you can use when you arrive.
- If you don't already have a job, start searching online.
How do I put my signature on my Canadian visa application? ›
If you apply online:
Upload the form to your account. After you upload all the forms for your application, click the “Next” button that appeared below your uploaded documents. This is your electronic signature.
Can I fill out one visa application for my whole family if we are travelling together? No. Each person must complete and sign the Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM 5257), as well as any other forms needed. Each applicant aged 18 or over must also complete the Family Information form (IMM 5645).How do I get a 10 year Canadian visa? ›
To apply for a multiple entry temporary resident visa, you must fill out the necessary paperwork and include the required supporting documents, as well as pay for your application. You may also be required to undergo a medical examination and/or have your fingerprints and photograph taken.What is Schedule 1 Canada visa? ›
APPLICATION FOR A TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA MADE OUTSIDE CANADA. The principal applicant, his or her spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all dependent children aged 18 years or older listed in the application for temporary residence must complete their own copy of this form.Can I have 2 visa applications at the same time? ›
You may apply for two different visas at the same time if you can show that you will enter the United States on the first visa, leave and re-enter on the other. You are required to complete one visa application form DS-160 but pay two MRV fees; the second fee is paid to the Embassy cashier on the day of the interview.What is client information for Canada visa? ›
This is usually financial information (such as a credit card number) or contact information (such as a client's name -- individual, business, institution or organization; address; telephone and facsimile numbers; e-mail address, etc.)Does Canada visitor visa get rejected? ›
Your application may be refused because: the official deciding your case has reason to believe you'll stay in Canada beyond your authorized stay. you're inadmissible to Canada.